Saturday, January 28, 2012

Lake LX140 Review

  Finally we have a little more wintery weather again this week.  It was a great morning for me to test out my new winter bike shoes some more.  I've been riding to work in these for about a week now and I have to say for the price I really like them.
These shoes are on closeout at our Wheel & Sprocket's internet store for $49.88 right now.  Check them out at http://stores.ebay.com/wheelandsprocket_W0QQ_fsubZ2727382013

As you can see in the picture they are water proof, but only up to the neoprene cuff which is pretty standard for winter shoes.  I do ride with fenders on my bike but I still find it nice to have ski gators on to cover the bottom of my pants from spray.

They are a little bit narrow so if you have a wide foot these are probably not the shoes for you.  The Velcro straps are nice and easy to use but I fin that the top one digs into my ankle a little if I kneel down.  Not a problem when I'm riding just if I'm climbing stairs.
I've never had any problems clipping in or out even with packed snow, and besides the stairs they're pretty comfortable to walk around in.
They also have this interesting feature.  On a Shimano M324 pedal the tread on the shoe is spaced perfectly to fit in between the studs on the platform side of the pedal as this picture demonstrates.  So I get really good grip on the pedal even before I clip in.

I have had some problems on really cold days with my toes getting cold but not the rest of my foot.  I suspect that this is because the shoe is so narrow and long so there is a little room in front of my toes even though the shoe fits everywhere else.  If I put a little paper in the end to fill that space it's no problem though.
Bottom line I give these shoes a silver star.  There are some slight fit issues that I mentioned but they do their job well and you can't beet the price for a winter shoe especially.

2 comments:

  1. As I website possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling magnificent , appreciate it for your hard work. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.
    Jessup Clear Grip Tape 10 in. Roll, 60ft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for your feedback sometimes I think nobody is reading this blog so it's nice to hear someone appreciates what I'm doing. If you have any suggestions about a topic you'd like me to cover just let me know.

    ReplyDelete